Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ansel Adams

Ansel Adams was an amazing nature photographer! He is known for his black and white photographs. He loved to take pictures in Yosemite National Park. He is known for his sharp-focus and dramatic images.

He developed the zone system, a way to determine proper expose and adjust the contrast of the final print. Clarity and depth characterized his photos. He used large format photos to get more depth of field and still have the image focused. He founded the Group f/64 with Willard Van Dyke and Edward Weston. His photos are published in books, calendars, and posters.

His main focus was nature/ wild life photography. In an interview he said:
"Well, people have asked me what kind of cameras I used. It's hard to remember all of them. Oh I had a box Brownie #1 in 1915, 16. I had the Pocket Kodak, and a 4 x 5 view, all batted down. I had a Zeiss Milliflex. A great number of different cameras. I want to try to get back to 35 millimeter, which I did a lot of in the 1930s. Using one of the Zeiss compacts. In the 20s and into the 30s, I would carry a 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 glass plate camera -- that was a little heavy. And I had a 4 x 5 camera, then of course we went to film, to film pack, things became a little simpler".
Ansel used a variety of cameras depending on what he was shooting. 


This is one of his famous photographs of the Tetons and Snake River.




http://www.biographyonline.net/artists/photos/ansel-adams.html

No comments:

Post a Comment